The Westpac Northland Business Excellence Awards for 2018 took place at Forum North on Friday night, 26 October. Businesses from throughout Northland submitted 46 unique entries across 5 business categories, 7 ancillary categories and an overall supreme winner.
Clements Contractors Ltd was the 2018 Westpac Northland Business Excellence Supreme Award winner and was also the winner of the Vodafone Excellence in Business Large Business Award.
The judges said…
Clements Contractors has developed a great vision for its future. The owners of the business are clearly encouraging employees to be actively involved with decision making and responsibility for achieving goals. Everyone seems to understand where the company is heading and what is expected of them. But above all, there is a strong “one team” culture which gives you the sense that this is a great place to work.
Tony Collins from the NZ Chambers of Commerce Northland said that, as always, it’s great to see what these amazing businesses are doing in our Region and to celebrate business success. The standard continues to get better every year and no matter what the size, structure or nature of the enterprise, they were all committed to making their business a success.
Winners of each category were:
- Giftbox Boutique NZ Ltd – winner of The Orchard Business and Event Hub Best Emerging Business Award. Gold Beauty Bar and Bay of Islands Computers were finalists.
- Mangawhai Artists Inc – winner of the Ricoh Northland Excellence in Micro Business (1-3FTE) category. Aligned Movement Ltd and Jessie Rose were finalists.
- Cadenshae – winner of the Henderson Reeves Excellence in Business Small Business Award (4-9FTE). Finalists were Tucker Thompson Sail Training Trust and Whangarei Top 10 Holiday Park & Motels.
- LC Hydraulics – winner of the Golden Bay Cement Excellence in Business Medium Business Award (10-24FTE). Active Intervention Management Ltd (AIM) and Northern Benchtops Ltd were finalists.
- Clements Contractors Ltd – winner of the Vodafone Excellence in Business Large Business Award (25+FTE). Mitre 10 MEGA Whangarei was a finalist.
- Mangawhai Artists Inc – winner of the Top Energy Best Not-For-Profit Organisation Award. R.Tucker Thompson Sail Training Trust were also a finalist.
- Northern Benchtops Ltd – winner of the Northland Regional Council Environmental Excellence Award. Modern Earth Homes were also a finalist.
- Northern Benchtops Ltd –winner of the ACC Workplace Safety Award. Mitre 10 MEGA Whangarei, Action Fencing NZ Ltd and Clements Contractors Ltd were finalists.
- Jessie Rose – winner of the Creative Northland Excellence in Creative Industries Award. Mangawhai Artists Inc and The Butter Factory were finalists.
- Lavinia (Vini) Hoeft was selected as this year’s Ministry of Social Developments’ He Poutama Taitamariki (Youth Employee of the Year) Award, recognising young people who have made significant life changes as a result of employment.
- Extrutec Ltd took out the Northland Inc Innovation Award. Tankful and Kai Ora Honey were finalists.
- Whangarei Top 10 Holiday Park & Motels was the winner of the People Potential Judges Choice Award.
- Uber Group Ltd was voted winner of the More FM Customer Choice Service Provider Award and The Butter Factory was the winner of the More FM Customer Choice Retail Provider.
The Northern Advocate Business Hall of Fame inductee this year was Stan Semenoff in recognition of his contribution to Northland business.