The Westpac Northland Business Excellence Awards for 2015 took place at the Forum North last night. There were entrants from 43 Northland businesses competing in 5 business categories, 7 ancillary categories and an overall supreme winner.
Donovan Group NZ Ltd was the Supreme 2015 Westpac Northland Business of the Year and was also the winner of the EROAD Excellence in Business Large Business Award and the Northland Inc Innovation Award.
The judges said…
Donovan Group is a long standing Northland business which impressed the judges with their strong leadership and foresight, committed to take itself and the industry to the next level. Innovative products and processes have been achieved through strategic supplier partnerships, securing key personnel and intellectual property requirements. Efficient workshop manufacture and supply are aided by its national Coresteel franchise system and their bespoke IT planning and management system.
Tony Collins from the NZ Chambers of Commerce Northland said that the awards were a fantastic opportunity to celebrate the success of many Northland businesses. These enterprises were of varying size and often very different in structure and scale. The one thing they all had in common was their passion for what they were doing and their commitment to succeed.
The complete list of winners were:
• New Zealand Honey Traders Ltd – winner of the Ricoh Northland Excellence in Business – Micro award (1-3FTE) Category. (Finalists MAD Ideas, Cuppacakes Northland and Results Rule Ltd)
• Building & Fire Services (2008) Ltd winner of the Henderson Reeves Connell Rishworth Excellence in Business – Small award (4-9FTE). (Finalists Justa Plumber NZ Ltd, Ringa Atawhai Trust and Kiwi Cake Supplies Ltd)
• Far North REAP Society Incorporated – winner of the Golden Bay Cement Excellence in Business – Medium award (10-24FTE). (Finalist Northland Emergency Services Trust and The Rintoul Group Ltd)
• Donovan Group NZ Ltd – winner of the EROAD Excellence in Business – Large award (25 plus FTE) (Finalists Northland Kindergarten Association and Northpower Fibre Ltd)
• Pure Day Spa – winner of the Business Coaching New Zealand Best Emerging Business Award. (Finalist Cavern Home Systems, Ohaeawai Community Education Trust and Trident Technical Services t/a Whangarei Engineering)
• Northland Kindergarten Association – winner of the Top Energy Best Not For Profit Organisation Award, Far North REAP Society Incorporated was a finalist in this category
• Ohaeawai Community Education Trust –winner of the Northland Regional Council Sustainable Business Award (finalist New Zealand Honey Traders Ltd and Far North REAP Society Incorporated)
• Trident Technical Services t/a Whangarei Engineering – winner of the ACC Workplace Safety Award. (Finalist Pure Day Spa and The Rintoul Group Ltd)
• Grinter Glass Ltd – winner of the Creative Northland in Excellence in Arts Business and Cuppacakes Northland were named as a finalist
• Donovan Group NZ Ltd winner of the Northland Inc Innovation Award (Finalists, Northland Emergency Services Trust, New Zealand Honey Traders Ltd and Northpower Fibre Ltd)
• Results Rule Ltd took out the NZ Chambers of Commerce Judges Choice Award while Villa Italia Ltd and Cicada Symphony Designer Jewellery were named as finalists
• Hone Heke Lodge was voted More FM Customer’s Choice Service Provider while Cuppacakes Northland was the More FM Customer’s Choice Retail Provider.
The Northern Advocate Business Hall of Fame inductee this year was Jeroen Jongejans in recognition of his contribution to Northland business.